Sunday, April 14, 2013

Preparation and fly fishing

A key to success in any fishing trip is Preparation. My wife, "she who must not be named" swears that the only time I clean and organize anything is right before a fly fishing trip. This post is a reminder to myself and anyone who reads it that a few moments of diligent, purposeful preparation can save you from the ARRRGHHH moment later when you realize that an essential item was left at home. There is nothing more frustrating than driving 2 hours to your fishing destination only to find that you have left your wading boots behind.
I start with a gear check, something I learned from my Dad and Uncle who are both avid backpackers. For example, a clean truck with gas, a fishing license, my fishing stick of preference, waters, vest, newish leaders and tippet...etc. I like keeping a large Tupperware bin in my truck to throw in the waders, boots, flies, hats, snacks, water and sunblock. It is also great for the return trip when everything tends to be moist. I am still relatively new to the sport, with only 5 years of occasional fishing and 3 years as a fanatic but in that short time I have learned a thing or two, much like a child bumbles it's way into adulthood. I have broken 4 rods, not all during fishing and ruined multiple waders to barbed wire, thorns and crapping care. I  have lost 2 years worth of flies that I had collected and selected through pains taking trial and error while wading too deep. This February I drove 2 hours to a favorite fishing spot and forgot my waders! I've forgotten my boots, newly purchased flies and my even wife on an occasion or two. Don't forget your wife or your fishing buddy!

As a side note, practice with any new technology or new gear you get well before you take it on a fly fishing trip. I needed about 38 hours to figure out how to use my GoPro camera and format pics that can be posted on this blog.

Finally, finally... for God's sake check the weather. I hit Little Camas reservoir with week at gale-thirty and a quarter-past-hurricane with no chance of fishing.Weather underground has a cool site with temperature, wind and a few extras: http://www.wunderground.com/. Happy Fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment